Friday, June 24, 2011

a row of baby shoes :: another baby shower gift

I am told cloth baby shoes are all the rage right now.  I wouldn't know much about baby rages (my kids are out of the baby stage), but I do agree that cloth baby shoes are absolutely adorable. I also consider myself a practical person, so I waivered on these because of how impractical baby shoes really are.

But when you are using your own sweat and tears (and not spending $30+ a pair), practicality goes out the window.  And you have to admit that these are totally worth the gamble.

I purchased the Cameron Baby Sneakers pattern from SewingWithMe7 on Etsy.  This shoe pattern is about the only one I could find for boys.  I think this pattern could be used for either gender, but it's not overly girly like a lot of others.  This pattern is just plain cool!  The pattern sizes included in the purchase range from 0-3 months to 18-24 months . . . a really large range if you ask me, so I could make all kinds of shoes for kids up to 2 years old.  I used the 3-6 month size for these.

Since we are expecting twin nephews in the next couple of months, I had to go with 4 pairs of shoes.  I really don't think that's enough, but these tiny objects are surprisingly time-consuming.  My speed improved toward the end, but there is so little room for error.

I pretty much followed the pattern to the letter except for the closures.  I think the pattern uses velcro which I used for one pair, but I tried to mix it up a little.  I also used a neutral linen for the sole to make them look a little more like shoes.

A brownish-green pair with constrast stitching and snap closures . . .

A blue striped pair with a loop and button closure . . .

A green print pair with orange contrast stitching and velcro closures . . .

And a brownish-yellow plaid pair with loop and yellow button closures (my personal favorite) . . .

I think these turned out pretty neat.  And my sister-in-law was very pleased with them.  I hope these keep tiny feet warm because they will definitely keep them stylish.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

mommy I cracked my arm

Yep.  Two fractured bones.  This little guy fell off a moon bounce slide at camp yesterday and fractured both lower arm bones in his left arm.  Poor little man.  But don't let him fool you.  He was just being silly in the photo above.  He usually looks like this even with a broken arm.

The emergency room didn't have any kid-sized arm slings, so they gave him an adult small that, after some finagling, was wearable for his 5-year-old arm.  But who would deny me the chance to sew something better when I see the need.  Certainly not this guy.  He was all in.

I spent 2 hours last night while he was sleeping constructing this sling.  I made the strap adjustable because I didn't know exactly where his arm would fall.  I lined both the sling and the strap with quilt batting and added a layer of light blue fleece to the inside for extra softness and warmth . . . not that he can feel anything with that arm or that his arm would get cold in the middle of summer.

While I was telling the grandparents over the phone about the broken bones, Logan commented that I shouldn't say that the bones are broken because it makes him think that something fell off his arm.  To be fully correct I should say that he cracked his arm.  As you wish, my dear.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

baby shower gift :: simple burp cloths

These burp cloths make excellent baby shower gifts.

I've seen this tutorial everywhere, like here and here.  I originally thought it was just too simple to give as a baby shower gift, but then I realized that many people don't realize how little effort these require.   Plus, they use very little fabric, so they are both inexpensive and a potential scrap buster.

Pieces of fabric are sewn to the middle of commerical tri-fold burp cloths.  I bought mine at Target: 12 for $17.  From quarter-yard pieces of fabric, I cut 6-inch wide pieces.  So my fabric pieces ended up about 17 or 18 inches by 6 inches.  Then I turned under the long side seams 1/2 inch, ironed the seams and pinned the fabric to the middle of the unfolded burp cloth (the long way).  Then I sewed the two pieces together close to the long edge of the fabric.

To finish the short edges, I serged them across the entire cloth.  These are as quick to make as you are hoping they are.  I had 8 done in about an hour or so.  This pile is for a set of two little nephews arriving soon, so I tried to keep the fabrics boyish (or at least gender-neutral).