Wednesday, April 20, 2011

bridal shower gift :: oven mitts

How about some new oven mitts for a bridal shower gift?  This bride loves to cook so she should really appreciate this gift.  I adore this pattern with the thumbs on the front!


I lined the mitts with terry cloth for a luxurious feel on the inside and an extra bit of protection from the oven heat.  I also have to admit that I'm getting pretty good at bias tape.  I can't believe how straight my lines are getting.


I used this tutorial from The Crafty Cupboard.  She didn't post a pattern, so I had to size my own.  Here are a couple of notes I would add to her tutorial.
  • Be sure to clip a triangle in the seam allowance where all three pattern pieces meet to reduce the bulk.

  •  It's irritating when linings slide out, so I sewed the lining and outside pieces together at the very top.  Turn both the lining and outside wrong sides out and press the backs of each (the side without the thumb piece) together.  I just zigzag stitched in the seam allowance.  Now the lining should stay inside.


And I just love this fabric.




No comments:

Post a Comment