Saturday, April 9, 2011

baby changing pad


One of my son's preschool teachers just had a baby and this is the gift we made for her.  You can never have too many changing pads and this was a perfect gift to utilize the quilt-as-you-go method.  I took the idea from table runner tutorials like the one I found here at Diary of a Quilter.


I covered this changing pad in vinyl to be sure it would easily wipe clean.  I picked up a good chunk of it as a remnant a couple of years ago and have been slowly using up my stash.  This is a little thicker than I would have liked it to be, but I have spent zero time researching vinyl choices.  I simply cut a piece of vinyl the same size as the pad and sewed the vinyl to the changing pad around the edges to hold the vinyl in place.  I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I was really concerned about the vinyl slipping around.

I also added this nice pocket for holding a couple of diapers and a small pack of wipes.  I sewed elastic at the top of the pocket to hold everything inside.


Then I used binding to hold all the layers together and conceal the edges.


This changing pad measures 12.5 inches wide by 28 inches long with about 22 inches in length of useable pad (the rest is the pocket).


I did not make a closure of this changing pad.  It holds together surprisingly well, so I didn't think it was necessary.  But I will probably try a closure on my next one just to change it up a bit.

Cute, cute!  And hopefully very handy.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love your fabric choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changing pad looks very nice and I am sure the teacher will be glad to have it. How very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete