Friday, February 25, 2011

a new messenger bag {yep, for me!}


I cut out the fabric for this bag at least a month ago.  But you know how it goes; you get busy with other things.  There hasn't been a lack of sewing around here.  Just a lack of sewing for myself.

I picked up this linen as a remnant and originally had plans to make a pair of pants for one of the boys.  But I've had it in my stash for a while, so I decided to make a new bag for myself instead, you know with spring coming at all.  I added some decoration to the front flap for a little interest to a neutral fabric: a few lines of blue straight stitching.


Look at this great print I used for the inside lining.  I have no idea what it's called.  I bought it at a quilt shop near my in-laws two Christmases ago.  It makes me giddy everytime I open the bag!


Not much thrills me more than a bag with lots of pockets.  So I added this green one on the back.  I also added some light green lines of stitching to the back in the bottom right corner, but you can't really see them.  In this photo, they look more like wrinkles.


I also added one of these small orange pockets on each side of the inside to hold keys at such.  These help with organization while accessibility.


And here is a green zipper pocket for hidden treasures . . .


I think my favorite part of this bag, though, is the strap.  That doesn't happen often, but I really, really like this print.  And because I couldn't get enough of it on the back of the strap, I had to add a few pieces to the front, too.


I tried to think a little differently for the strap attachment here.  I added buttonholes to the strap so I could attach it with buttons.  I also layered two buttons and placed a green bead in the center.  I thought this display might be a little more interesting that just a plain button.


Just lovely.  I can't wait to show it off.



And if you would like to see a kid's version, take a look at the messenger bag I made for Logan for his fourth birthday almost a year ago.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, that's an awesome bag! You really went out of your way to make it unique, and it shows!!

    ReplyDelete