Saturday, October 2, 2010

i made my first dress


In addition to the boys' suits, I also made myself a little something for the hub's sister's wedding.  I thought a fancy dress was in order since the hub and both little ones would be dressed to impress.  By the time I was done with the boys' suits, I only had 3 evenings to make my whole dress.

I bought a pattern to use, but I wasn't paying attention when I pulled it from the drawer.  I bought the larger sized pattern and by the time I realized it, I didn't have the time to exchange it.  So I decided to try one on my own.  A risky bet for first dress.

I used champagne colored shantang for the fabric.  I made the top part first by cutting rectangles and pleating them.  I stacked the pleats at the top so the overall shape would form two triangles.  Then I attached the two triangular shapes at the top so they would form a neck strap for a halter top look.

Not so symmetrical here with the pleats at the neck, but it worked well enough.


I included a center sash just below the bustline.  This is really the only part that made me nervous.  I knew that if the sizing was off even a little that the dress would either be too tight or too loose.  During the process, I was sure that I had gone too small (a much harder problem to fix and a predicament I often find myself in for some reason).  But when I tried it on, it zipped better than I even expected it to!  It's for those seldom moments that I even bother sewing clothes.


My not-so-invisible zipper . . . and a fun tag chosen by my 4-year-old.


I also opted for a "blind" hem.  Why is it that my invisible zippers aren't invisible and my blind hems aren't blind?  Probably lack of practice . . . and matching thread.


This is the back.  Too low for a bra, so I had to go without.  It wasn't totally unexpected given the design I chose.


Overall, I am extremely happy with the result.  The dress is completely lined, too, which again was a first for me.  And it only cost about $40.  I really hope I can find another occasion to wear this dress.  It looks great with a black cardigan, too (thanks to my sister).  Some parts of it may look homesewn, but I think it's a pretty great accomplishment.  And it makes me want to sew more.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you made that dress! It's a lovely dress and you looked awesome!
    Cheers!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! It feels good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete