Saturday, December 19, 2009

elephant cake topper



I wanted to do something special for Trenton's first birthday cake. We could have ordered from the bakery as we typically do when we want something beyond cake from a box and icing from a can (although I prefer the likes of Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker to the more sugary bakery cakes).

I made cake from scratch and it turned out rather delicious! I used white buttercream frosting (to which I may have added too much powdered sugar because it was awefully sugary) but I did consider topping the cake with fondant. Instead of topping the cake with fondant, I decided to make a fondant figurine. Well, first I wanted to make 3 figures, but after I saw how large the first one turned out, I decided that one was enough.

I made this elephant 5 days before Trenton's birthday because it wasn't going to be eaten and I knew that I would be busy with other party responsbilities later in the week.  The elephant started out a very pretty light blue but over the waiting period, it turned to more of a dull bluish-grey.  But it still turned out pretty cute!
I learned that when using fondant for figures, make as many parts using one piece as possible.  I first made the trunk separate from the face but couldn't figure out how to attach the trunk.  So I scrapped that piece and made the trunk as an a extention of the head by slowly rolling out a log from a large ball (I know . . . I couldn't make that sound any better). 

I also learned that the back of the figure should not be ignored. I didn't spend any time smoothing the elephant's arms and legs into his back before the fondant dried, so if you looked at his back, you would see the attachments. Next time, I will have to take more care with the back to make sure the figure looks like one solid piece.
 

And the only one who mattered seemed to enjoy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment